Open in Morning
5:30 am - 12:00 pm
Open in Evening
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
BRIEF HISTORY OF RELIGIOUS PLACES:
INTRODUCTION TO HINDUISM

Hinduism is the oldest religion in the world. Anyone can practice Hinduism – there is no conversion required.

One of the many glories of Hinduism is the wide variety of divine manifestations that have been conceived. The Hindu pantheon is rich in deities, all of whom represent the same divine Brahman and are powerful pathways to salvation. In short, there is only one GOD.

Temple in Hinduism

Saint Avvaiyar said: "Don not reside in a town that has no temple." A Temple or Devalaya is a place of worship. Deva means God and Alaya is House. Several smaller Temples or Sannidhanams are structured within the main Temple. A traditional Hindu Temple is built based on the Agamas, which are the Holy Scriptures on architecture. Agamas also provide guidelines for the conduct of worship (prayer).

We go to the Temple to communicate with God. We must remember that no one is compelled to attend a Temple. In fact, there is no compulsion whatsoever in Hinduism. Each one is free to develop his spirituality according to his or her own mental inclinations. So, if we choose to attend the Temple, the least we should do is observe the rules in the Temple so that we could obtain the maximum benefits for our spiritual progress.

HISTORY OF ARULMIGU RAJAMARIAMMAN DEVASTHANAM JOHOR BAHRU -SINCE 1911

Arulmigu Rajamariamman Devasthanam, which had its humble beginnings in the year 1911, today is magnificently seated in the centre of the business district of Johor Bahru which itself speaks volumes of the inherent divinity of Arulmigu Rajamaraiamman.

ORIGINS

Arulmigu Rajamariamman was established in the year 1911 when His Royal Highness DYMM Sultan Sir Ibrahim Abu Bakar donated a piece of land and cash sum of RM500.00 to community leader Kootha Perumal Vandayar to build a temple for all Hindu devotees in johor bahru. Kootha Perumal built an attap shed and installed Goddess Mariamman as the main deity. However, in honour of this kind gesture of the Sultan, the Temple was renamed Raja Mariamman as Raja in Tamil means Sultan or King.

100 YEARS DEVELOPMENT HISTORY

Johor Bahru is a city made up of a wide variety of people with different cultures and places of worship, such as mosques for Muslim, Chinese and Hindu temples as well as Christian Churches. Most of these places of worship were built in the 19th century when Chinese and Indian migrants came to Johor in search of a better life. In 1885, the late Sultan Abu Bakar developed Johor Bahru from a fishing village into an administrative and business capital of Johor and this development of Johor is being continued by the Royal family till today. In the city of Johor Bahru today within a small vicinity there are five different type of places of worship. The Masjid Abu Bakar, Arulmigu Rajamariamman Devasthanam, Chinese Temple, Church of Holy Light and Gurudawara Sahib, all within the vicinity of Jalan Trus and Jalan Wong Ah Fook, reflecting the harmony of different faiths all existing together for more than 100 years.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

The Management Committee raised nearly RM 2.0 million to fund the re-building of the Temple. Of this amount, Rm 1.0 million came from Donors and well-wishers from Malaysia and Singapore. Another Rm 1.0 million was donated by Johor State Government under the leadership of YAB Dato’ Haji Abdul Ghani Bin Othman, Chief Minister of Johor. Today, the temple is standing tall in the city of Johor Bahru. The management committee would like to thank each and everyone who had helped in one way or another to make this possible.

HISTORY
1911  :-   
The first consecration Maha Kumbabishegam ceremony was held under the Presidency of Kootha Perumal Vandayar.
1935  :-   
Second consecration ceremony, was held.
1946  :-   
Shop lot were built under the Presidency of Mr. A.T. Arumugam.
1951  :-   
Temple registered with Societies Ordinance 1949 as JOHOR BAHRU HINDU SABAH 1, JALAN UNGU PUAN, JOHOR BAHRU.
1956  :-   
Temple name was changed from Johor Bahru Hindu Sabah to SRI RAJAMARIAMMAN KOVIL SABAH.
1963  :-   
Temple name was changed from SRI RAJAMARIAMMAN KOVIL SABAH to SRI RAJAMARIAMMAN KOVIL.
1946
to
1975  :-   
The temple developed and the P. GovindasamyPillai Wedding Hall was built, under the Presidency of Mr. S. Krishnan PIS, S.T.V. SinniahPillai, R. Muthu Kumar, P. Sinnathamby, R. S. Sivam, R. P. Govindasamy and Ramanthan Chettiar.
1981  :-   
Balastabanam ceremony to rebuilt temple was performed under the Presidency of Mr. A. Thambyayah.
1986  :-   
Temple name again changed from Sri Rajamariamman kovil to ARULMIGU RAJAMARIAMAN DEVASTHANAM as it is known today. The Third Consecration ceremony in 1986 under the chairmanship of Mr. K.Krishnan PIS, PPN. Fourth and Fifth Consecration ceremony in 1993 and 1999 respectively was held under the Presidency of MR. J. GANAPATHY PIS, PPN.
2007
to
2009  :-   
The Temple further developed with13 new shop lots being built under the Chairmanship of V. Nagalingam PIS, PPN. A modern Crematorium serving the Hindu Community of Johor District was also built at the sametime under the Chairmanship of Mr. K. Krishnan PIS, AMN and under the Presidency of Mr. S. KrishnanNaidu PIS and Mr. S. Senathirajah PIS, respectively.
2010  :-   
The Balasthanam ceremony was successfully performed under the chairmanship of MR K. KIRUPPALINI, KMN, where the Temple underwent a massive renovation and a complete facelift as seen today.
2011  :-   
The 100 year MahaKumbabishegam and Centenary Celebrations 1911-2011 known as Pirathishta Grand Consecration ceremony was held on Sunday 12th June 2011 under the Presidency of MR KIRUPPALINI KANDAVANAM, KMN.
2014  :-   
HERITAGE STATUS Arulmigu Rajamariamman Devasthanam since March 2014 is listed in the INVENTORY LIST of the National Heritage and State Heritage as a Heritage Site, under the National Heritage Act 2005.
2015  :-   
8 new shop lots were built on Temple land in Jalan Trus, Johor Bahru, under the Chairmanship of Dr. K. Mohan and Presidency of MR. K. KIRUPPALINI KMN.
2016  :-   
A MAHA SADHA CHANDI HOMAM with 25 priest from India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Singapore was performed under the chairmanship of MR. K. KIRUPPALINI, KMN.
Copyright © All Rights Reserved.
No of visitor:- 39489